Sunday, August 21, 2011

Urban Decay Super-Saturated High Gloss Lip Color!

Ever since Temptalia reviewed these lip pencils I knew that this was a product that was a must for me. I don't say that very often, because makeup is quite expensive, and I'm trying to slowly but steadily build a collection right now, so to splurge on one thing is something I just don't do. But these lip pencils looked sooo beautiful in her pictures, swatches, and on her, so I knew I had to get them! She only gave them a B in her overall grade, but I disagreed from the start because they looked absolutely beautiful, and contrary to what she said, I also did think that all five did look extremely glossy in her pictures.

The two colors I decided to get are Punch Drunk, a dark orange color, and Big Bang, an awesome ruby magenta color with lots of glitter in it!

The lip pencils are supposed to be high-impact, high-gloss, super opaque, and super saturated. The color is supposed to last for a long time, and the product is smooth and creamy on your lips.

After trying these lip pencils, I'm in mixed feelings. First off, both products do go on opaque and smooth. I would say Big Bang is way saturated, and Punch Drunk, kind of. I truly 100% love Big Bang. But Punch Drunk I'm a little upset about. It's kind of a dupe for MAC Lady Danger lipstick, which I already own. The only difference is that Lady Danger is an orangey red, and Punch Drunk is a reddy orange. Plus Lady Danger brings the drama and makes my lips look full and pow. Punch Drunk falls a little short on the gloss. Actually a lot short. It just doesn't bring the drama to my lips like Lady Danger, and it's not truly orange. In the pictures with flash it looks vividly orange, but that's why I always include pictures w/o flash, to give you different lighting in which to view it. In this case the non-flash lighting is the more accurate of the two. Getting back to the point, if I didn't own Lady Danger I would like/love Punch Drunk, but since I do, Punch Drunk falls short for me, and I think I'll be returning it. Good news is, I'll have another Super-Saturated High Gloss Lip Color to review soon! I would like to collect the rest of the collection. There are only three other pencils in the collection- one red and two pinks. I do wish they had a few other colors, and maybe even a nice glossy neutral, but hopefully they add onto the collection.

One of these lip pencils was extremely glossy and moisturizing. Punch Drunk dried my lips out after a couple of hours. My lips looked and felt very full with Big Bang. These are lip products that are designed to really put emphasis on the lips and make your pout look stunning. I feel that Big Bang achieved this more then Punch Drunk. Big Bang lasts and lasts and lasts. The color is long-wear for sure. Punch Drunk lasts a much shorter amount of time. Both should last a long time since Urban Decay is advertising them as "no budge". Big Bang absolutely stains your lips, and eight hours later you will pretty much have the same color on your lips, minus the glitter with a little fading. Punch Drunk doesn't last as long, and stains more of the center of your lips, and the stain is very faded. I would say it lasts hardcore four to five hours.

Punch Drunk is described on the Sephora website as a bright orange cream. However, I have to say I disagree with that. It truly looks more like an reddy orange on the lip and is very comparable to MAC's Lady Danger. The only difference is that Lady Danger is a little redder and matte. Punch Drunk is glossy-ish, but it's actually not super glossy so I was disappointed with that. Big Bang is WAYY glossier. This one will be going back to Sephora :( It's not that I dislike it, I just don't love it, and I have a product way too similar.

Big Bang is described as a bright pink with sparkle. I think it's more ruby magenta, as I described before. The box is different then Punch Drunk's box because it's sparkly! So it tells you what the texture of the lip color will be with the packaging. It makes your lips look like jewelry haha! Does that sound weird? Anyway, Big Bang is also comparable to another color I have, Kat Von D's Backstage Bambi. Backstage Bambi is a really vibrant matte hot, bright pink.

Without further ado here are pictures!








Big Bang:


Be warned that the next two pictures are of me without any makeup except Big Bang and a little foundation. Eep! I chose to include these because I felt the lighting was best in these pictures and in this location of my house.






Big Bang on top, Backstage Bambi on bottom

Punch Drunk:







Punch Drunk on top, Lady Danger on bottom

 w/o flash

Punch Drunk on top, Big Bang on bottom

w/o flash

No comments:

Post a Comment